News

News Release

Careless Smoking Causes Henderson Apartment Fire

June 20, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT KATHLEEN RICHARDS, (702) 267-2051
Henderson, Nev. – Careless smoking started a fire that damaged a Henderson apartment building this evening and displaced 31 residents.

The Henderson Fire Department responded at about 6:25 p.m. to a residential structure fire at 800 N. Major Ave., near Burkholder Boulevard.

The first arriving engine crew observed smoke and flames coming from a second floor unit in a two-story multi-family apartment building. Firefighters initiated an offensive attack and entered the apartment to extinguish the fire, preventing extension of the fire to neighboring units.

Five engines, two trucks, two rescue units and an air resource apparatus responded to the fire.

One person was evaluated at the scene for smoke inhalation but declined to be transported to the hospital. There were no injuries to residents or firefighters.

The American Red Cross is assisting 31 residents displaced from multiple apartment units due to fire, smoke and water damage.

A City of Henderson Senior Fire Investigator, Henderson Police, NV Energy and Southwest Gas Corp. responded to help secure the property.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to careless smoking. The total estimated loss is $150,000.
# # #