Henderson Observes National Cyber Security Awareness Month with Educational Workshop for Parents
September 27, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT KEITH PAUL, (702) 267-4510
– The City of Henderson is observing National Cyber Security Awareness Month in October by hosting “How to Be a Good Digital Parent,” a free workshop featuring presentations and tips from the city’s Department of Information Technology and Henderson Police Department.
Children and teens face unique cyber security threats and it is important that parents are confident in their understanding of digital devices, apps, games, and their ability to help guide their children at every age to ensure a positive experience online. The workshop takes place from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 18 at the Green Valley Library
, 2797 N. Green Valley Pkwy. Topics include parental controls; social media content, contact and conduct; digital footprints; managing kids’ online gaming; and setting ground rules.
“Children are spending more time online than ever before. There are great advantages to using technology but there are also risks,” said City of Henderson Chief Information Officer Laura Fucci, director of the city’s Department of Information Technology. “We must all learn to protect our information online and to help guide our children while they are immersed in their devices.”
National Cyber Security Awareness Month is an opportunity to learn about the importance of cyber security and to equip people with the tools and resources they need to stay safe. As a partner in the Department of Homeland Security’s Stop.Think.Connect.
campaign, the city is committed to promoting online safety for everyone.
Each week in October is dedicated to a timely cyber security topic:
- Week 1: Oct. 2-6 STOP. THINK. CONNECT: Simple Steps to Online Safety
- Week 2: Oct. 9-13 Cybersecurity in the Workplace Is Everyone’s Business
- Week 3: Oct. 16-20 Today’s Predictions for Tomorrow’s Internet
- Week 4: Oct. 23-27 The Internet Wants You: Consider a Career in Cyber Security
- Week 5: Oct. 30-31 Protecting Critical Infrastructure From Cyber Threats
For more information about the workshop and resources to stay safer online, visit cityofhenderson.com/cyber
# # #