News

News Release

Outdoor Barbecue Causes Fire at Henderson House

June 09, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT KATHLEEN RICHARDS, (702) 267-2051
Henderson, Nev. – Combustible materials stored too close to an outdoor barbecue caused a fire this afternoon that damaged a Henderson home and displaced two adults.

The Henderson Fire Department responded to a residential fire in the 700 block of North Parawan Street, near East Lake Mead Parkway and East Athens Avenue, at about 1 p.m.

The first arriving engine crew observed heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of a large three-story single family residence. Firefighters initiated an offensive attack and entered the backyard to extinguish the fire. Additional crews checked the home’s interior and roof for fire extension.

Despite gusty wind conditions, firefighters were able to prevent the fire from spreading to the home’s interior. A fifth wheel camper and boat in the back yard were damaged, as well as an exterior wall and overhang.

There were no injuries to residents or firefighters. Two adults were displaced by the fire.

The fire was reported by an off-duty firefighter who observed heavy black smoke coming from the back of the residence and called 9-1-1.

Five engines, one truck, two rescue units and an air resource apparatus responded to the fire.

A City of Henderson Senior Fire Investigator, Henderson Police and NV Energy responded to help secure the property.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental. The total estimated loss is $100,000.
# # #