News

News Release

Unattended Cooking Causes Henderson Apartment Fire

July 28, 2017
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT KATHLEEN RICHARDS, (702) 267-2051
Henderson, Nev. – A pot of cooking oil left on an electric stovetop started a fire this morning that damaged a Henderson apartment building and displaced 17 residents.

The Henderson Fire Department responded at about 4 a.m. to a residential structure fire at Mulberry Park Apartments, located at 730 Center St.

The first arriving engine crew observed smoke and flames coming from a two-story multifamily apartment building. Firefighters initiated a defensive attack from the building exterior, then quickly switched to an offensive attack, locating the origin of the fire in the kitchen of an upstairs unit and extinguishing it. There was some extension of the fire into the roof structure.

Five engines, two trucks, two rescue units and an air resource apparatus responded to the fire.

There were no injuries to residents or firefighters.

The American Red Cross is assisting 10 adults and 7 children displaced from four apartment units due to fire, smoke and water damage.

A City of Henderson Senior Fire Investigator, Henderson Police and NV Energy responded to help secure the property.

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental due to unattended cooking. The total estimated loss is $290,000.
# # #