Henderson, NV celebrates 60 years of heritage
60 facts in 60 days
Henderson officially incorporated on April 16, 1953
Dr. Jim French was elected the first Mayor of Henderson in 1953.
The Henderson Pavilion is the largest outdoor theater in Southern Nevada.
Heritage Park is the largest multi-use sports complex in the Las Vegas Valley.
Hendersonís highest point ix 3,540 feet above sea level.
Hendersonís Fire, Police and Parks and Recreation departments are nationally accredited.
The Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve is a designated Wildlife Habitat Site by
National Wildlife Federation.
Henderson became Nevadaís second-largest city in December 1999.
Henderson has 27 master-planned communities.
Hafenís OK Tire Shop is longest licensed business in Henderson.
Estes M. McDoniel served as Henderson mayor from 1969-1973. He also has the
of having an elementary school named in his honor.
Phil Stout served on the city council from 1975 to 1979. He later served
Henderson as a
member of the Nevada State Assembly.
Lorna Kesterson was Hendersonís first female mayor. She served from 1985 to 1993.
In 1947, Basic Magnesium Hospital was sold Adrian Dominican Sisters for $1
agreement that the Sisters assume all debt and operate the facility for 25 years. They later
renamed the facility Rose de Lima Hospital (now St. Rose Dominican Hospitals).
Henderson has more than 80 miles of trails.
Henderson spanned 13 square miles when it was incorporated in 1953. Today it
more than 105 square miles.
Henderson cleans and treats about 24 million gallons of wastewater every day.
A documentary called Real CSI featured members of the Henderson Police
crime scene analysts and investigators.
Much of the movie Americaís Sweethearts, starring Julia Roberts, was filmed
Lake Las Vegas.
Ethel M Chocolates is also home to one of Nevadaís largest collections of
with more than 300 species.
Hendersonís first high school was named Railroad Pass in 1942 and renamed
Basic High School in 1945.
Water Street gets its name from the water pipeline used to pump water to the
Basic Magnesium, Inc. (BMI) plant.
Businessman N. D. Van Wagenen opened Victory Theatre in 1943. In 1954, he
Nevadaís largest cinema screen. It was 21x43 feet.
Business leaders formed Hendersonís first Chamber of Commerce in August 1945.
Henderson School District merged into the Clark County School District in 1965.
Burkholder Middle School is named in honor of school superintendent Lyal Burkholder.
The city of Henderson maintains more than 1,200 miles of water pipelines,
and more than
920 miles of sewer pipelines.
Henderson recycles 100 percent of the communityís wastewater in what is
closed loop system.
The North Community Police Station, located at 225 E. Sunset Rd., was the
in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certified city building in Henderson.
Henderson has over 4,000 guest rooms and 250,000 square feet of meeting
making it a premier destination for any leisure traveler.
Henderson is home to 56 parks and more than 80 miles of trails.
The cityís Redevelopment Agency manages five redevelopment areas:
Cornerstone, Downtown, Eastside, Lakemoor Canyon, and Tuscany.
In 1996, Nevadaís largest commercial corridor was created with the opening
Hendersonís Galleria at Sunset.
Henderson was named one of the top 100 best places to live in America
by MONEY magazine.
The U.S. Census declared Henderson Americaís fastest-growing city in 1994.
The city has won the Government Finance Officers Associationís Distinguished
Presentation Award ten times. It is the highest honor in governmental budgeting.
The city is named in honor of Senator Charles B. Henderson, an attorney
and Spanish-American War veteran.
In the early 1940s, Basic Magnesium had a weekly payroll of $1 million.
The cityís namesake, Senator Charles B. Henderson, also had a building named
in his honor. It was Basic Townsiteís post office, which was dedicated in 1944.
Bank of Nevadaís Henderson branch opened in February 1954. The building cost $150,000.
The first City Council members included Paul Dickover, Lou LaPorta, John
Bill Engel, and N. D. Van Wagenen.
On March 11,1954, Henderson AM radio station KBMI began broadcasting. Its
broadcasts featured popular music by artists such as Tommy Dorsey and Glenn Miller.
Basic Magnesium Inc. was built by Anaconda Copper Company in 1941 so the
government could produce magnesium for the war effort.
Black Mountain Golf and Country Club opened June 14, 1959.
It was the cityís first golf course and featured nine holes.
Frank Sinatra performed at the Youth Center Victory Show in June 1954 to
help raise funds
for the construction of a recreation center for youth (the Youth Center).
The late Cruz Olague served as Mayor of Henderson from 1973-1975.
He was the first Hispanic person to be elected mayor of a Nevada city.
The Henderson Multigenerational Center/Aquatic Complex opened in 2003
as the first mega recreation facility in Nevada.
The cityís first official town meeting as a newly incorporated city took
on June 24, 1953.
Andy Hafen is the twelfth person to serve as Mayor of Henderson.
The Building and Fire Safety division of the Community Development and
department is nationally accredited through the International Accreditation Service
Hendersonís Bob Miller Middle School is named in honor of Bob Miller, who
governor of the State of Nevada from 1989 until 1999.
The late Dr. Paul T. Marshall, who served two terms on the City Council from
1963 to 1971,
was a respected dentist who practiced in Henderson for more than 40 years.
He opened his practice in 1954, just one year after the cityís incorporation.
Reunion Trails Park is home to the largest splash pad in Southern Nevada.
It is 7,728 square feet.
George Crisler was appointed as chief of the Henderson Police Department in
He had a staff of five patrolmen and one patrol car, which was borrowed from
the Clark County Sheriff. Chief Crisler served from 1953 to 1968.
Ida Belle Riggins was the first woman to serve on the Henderson City Council
Riggins Street is named in her honor.
The City of Henderson Parks and Recreation Department is accredited through
the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies (CAPRA),
the only agency in Nevada to currently hold this designation.
The Henderson Police Department was established in 1953
soon after the city was incorporated.
Through the Contact Henderson customer relationship management system,
city staff handled 50,546 cases and inquiries in 2012.
More than 189,000 meals are served at Heritage Park Senior Facility each year.
The cityís Fire Department is one of few in the nation to maintain dual
with the Commission on Fire Accreditation International and
the Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services.