News

News Release

Henderson Man Dies in House Fire

May 21, 2019
FOR IMMEDIATE NEWS RELEASE
PLEASE CONTACT KATHLEEN RICHARDS, (702) 267-2051

Henderson, Nev. – A 63-year-old Henderson man died last night in a house fire accidentally caused by a propane torch.

The Henderson Fire Department responded to a structure fire on the 1600 block of Palomino Drive, near Equestrian Drive and Appaloosa Road, at about 6:10 p.m. on May 20. The first arriving engine crew observed light smoke coming from the front door of a one-story single-family residence.

Firefighters organized an offensive fire attack and entered the structure, bringing the fire in the basement area under control. Firefighters located a man in a crawl space in the basement and transported him to Henderson Hospital, where he died.

The man’s identity and cause of death will be released by the Clark County Coroner’s Office.

One adult female and a dog were displaced by the fire and are being assisted by family members.

The fire was caused by the homeowner using a propane torch to exterminate bugs in a crawl space underneath the house and accidentally igniting combustible materials. The fire caused an estimated $60,000 in damage.

Five engines, one truck, four rescue units and an air resource apparatus were dispatched to the fire scene. There were no injuries to firefighters.

A City of Henderson senior fire investigator and NV Energy responded to help secure the property and the Henderson Police Department assisted with traffic control.

# # #