City Attorney

Private Legal Assistance

The Henderson City Attorney's Office represents the City of Henderson in legal matters that arise from the City's role as a government entity.  For questions involving private matters, consult a private attorney or a legal services agency.  If you need an attorney, but cannot afford to pay for one, there are two agencies that may be able to assist you: Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada at 702-386-1070 or Lawyer Referral Services in Las Vegas at 702-382-0504.  In addition, for private legal assistance contact one of the offices below:

  • Neighborhood Justice Center: 702-455-3898
    Mediation and alternate dispute resolution service through Clark County Social Service – free to the public – NO LEGAL ADVICE PROVIDED
  • Nevada Legal Services: 702-386-0404
    Private nonprofit organization providing legal assistance in specific areas of the law.
  • Lawyers Referral Service: 702-382-0504
    Provides referrals to attorneys who work in a specific area of the law.
  • Clark County Pro Bono Project: 702-386-1070
    Nonprofit service offering representation through local volunteer attorneys in civil matters only. Eligibility requirements must be met.
  • Senior Citizens Law Project: 702-229-6596
    Nonprofit service providing legal counsel and assistance to Clark County residents age 60 and older.

Problems with Homeowners Associations

The City of Henderson does not have jurisdiction in disputes between parties involved in a homeowner association. Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 116 (Common Ownership Interest Act) governs these actions.  For more information on this statute, you should consult a private attorney or visit the Clark County Law Library at 309 S. Third Street, 4th Floor, Las Vegas, NV (corner of 3rd and Bridger). The telephone number is 702-455-4696. Most public libraries maintain copies of the Nevada Revised Statutes.  Assistance may also be available through the Office of the Ombudsman for Owners in Common-Interest Communities.

Declaration of Homestead

Copies of Declaration of Homestead forms may be obtained at almost any stationery store, or may be downloaded from the Clark County Assessor website. The form must be completely filled out, notarized, and taken or mailed to the County Recorders office to be recorded. For details call 702-455-4336. The County Recorder's Office is located at 500 S. Grand Central Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV.