City Clerk

U.S. Passport Cards

The U.S. passport card facilitates entry and expedites document processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of-entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda. The card may not be used to travel by air. It will otherwise carry the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and will be adjudicated to the exact same standards.

The Department of State is issuing this passport card in response to the needs of border resident communities for a less expensive and more portable alternative to the traditional passport book.  U.S. Passport Cards are valid 10 years for adults age 16 and older, and 5 years for children age 15 and younger.

To facilitate the frequent travel of U.S. citizens living in border communities and to meet the Department of Homeland Security's operational needs at land borders, the passport card contains a vicinity-read radio frequency identification (RFID) chip. This chip links the card to a stored record in secure government databases. There is no personal information written to the RFID chip itself.

Note: A Previous passport book holder, eligible to use Form DS-82, may apply for a passport card as a Renewal. First time applicants for a U.S. Passport, and those not eligible to use the DS-82, should apply for a passport card using Form DS-11.

For additional information regarding passport application services in the Office of the City Clerk, please contact us at 702-267-1418 or email

For other passport and travel information please visit the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs at: