What can I do to prepare for an earthquake?
- Earthquakes can happen at any time, but there are things you can do to prepare your self and your home.
- Practice 'drop and cover' before the actual emergency happens
- Obtain fire extinguishers and make sure you know how to use them
- Bolt large furniture to walls
- Install strong latches on cabinets
- Have a Disaster Supply Kit ready with:
- First Aid Kit
- Canned food and opener
- Fresh bottled, water
- Battery-operated radio with extra batteries
- Flashlights and candles
- Necessary medications
What should I do during an earthquake to protect myself?
Drop and cover under a desk or sturdy table. If you are outdoors, move away from signs, electrical lines, windows, building and any other large items. If you are in an automobile, pull over the side of the road and stop. Avoid power lines, overpasses and other large objects. If you are in a large building, do not use the elevators and stay clear of windows.
What should I do after an earthquake?
- Check yourself and others for injuries. Immediately provide first aid if needed.
- Listen for further instructions from local officials on the radio
- Inspect your home for damages
How can I get more information on earthquakes?