Learn about the Suicide Prevention Program called Henderson Hope Squad brought to you by the City of Henderson for implementation in the following schools:
Brown, Burkholder, Greenspun, Mannion, Miller, Del Webb and Thurman White middle schools Basic, Coronado, Foothill, Green Valley and Liberty high schools
Thursday, December 12 | 6:30pm
Bob Miller Middle School
2400 Cozy Hill Circle
Established December 2019
The Hope Squad Program is a national suicide intervention program developed to change how kids talk about mental illness. Hope Squad creates school-based peer support teams that are comprised of trustworthy and caring students. Squad members are trained to watch for at-risk students, provide friendship, identify suicide warning signs, and seek help from adults.
Hope Squad members do not act as counselors, but are educated on recognizing suicide warning signs and how to properly and respectfully report concerns to an adult.
HENDERSON HOPE SQUAD will be launched on December 12, 2019 in the following Clark County Public Schools:
7 Henderson Middle Schools:
Brown | Burkholder | Greenspun | Mannion | Miller | Del Webb | Thurman White
5 Henderson High Schools:
Basic | Coronado | Foothill | Green Valley | Liberty
Henderson Hope Squad seeks to reduce self-destructive behavior and youth suicide by training, building, and creating change in schools and communities.
- Will train students and school staff to recognize suicide warning signs and act upon those warnings to break the code of silence.
- Will train students and school staff to identify adolescents with undetected, untreated, or emerging mental disorders.
- Will build positive relationships among peers and faculty in schools to facilitate acceptance for students seeking help.
- Will build strong relationships with local mental health agencies and communities while educating students, parents, and school staff about available community mental health resources.
- Will work to change the school culture regarding suicide by reducing stigmas about suicide and mental health.
- Will work to change community perceptions of mental health by creating awareness about suicide and the tools available to prevent suicide